Thursday, July 2, 2015

4th of July Events

The 4th of July is almost upon us.  I'm sure there will be lots of activity on the lake.  It looks like it will be a perfect day.

 4th of July events to look for:
  • Informal annual pontoon race, starting on the SW corner of the lake at 3pm.  It just sort of happens.  No one wants to take ownership.  It's pretty funny to see a bunch of pontoon boats racing around the island.
  • I heard desires for a lighted boat parade.  We have had this event in the past, but it has been absent for some years.  I'm going to take a flyer and offer a time and place to meet.  Meet at 9 pm near Ramsey Country Park.  Line up and putt along the shoreline for as long as you wish.  People have gotten generators and used Christmas lights to light up their boats.  Lots of imaginative presentations in the past.  I leave the judging up to you.
  • Fireworks display at twilight in the SW corner of the lake.
Water Clarity:
  • I measured the lake clarity last Sunday.  I measured 12.5' of clarity. Pretty amazing.
Weed watch:
  • I'm not sure it can get much worse and it all washes up on our shoreline.  At present, we have floating weed remnants 35' out from the shoreline.  Luckily, our dock is 140' long and we just walk past it (so far).
  • We will be contacting the DNR to see what we can do about the weeds. I doubt there is much.
Purple Loosestrife (PLS):
  • We had a PLS bug collection event in early June.  It wasn't very fruitful.  Five of us were there. We ended up giving the bugs to the Brekke's, who have PLS in front of their home.  I'll be checking on it later this summer to see how much they are damaging the plants.
No criminal activity has been reported to me so far.

Sunsets this past month (Click photo to enlarge)





No comments:

Post a Comment