Thursday, November 13, 2014

Zebra Mussels in White Bear Lake

I forgot to mention in my last blog post information that I received from Matt Kocian of RCWD earlier this month.

Hi Jim,

As I’m sure you've heard, zebra mussels were found in White Bear Lake this fall.  Based on the spatial distribution (found at multiple locations around the lake), it’s likely that the introduction occurred 1 or more years ago.  This is the first time that zebra mussels have been found in the RCWD.  I expect DNR will continue boat inspections at both White Bear and Bald Eagle to prevent the spread of zebra mussels via boat.  However, it’s also important for lake shore owners to be vigilant about docks, lifts, and other lake shore equipment.  The DNR has some info for lake residents here:  http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/invasives/shoreland_owners.html

Thanks
Matt

No comments:

Post a Comment